About the Fellowship Program
For BFA graduates of VCU Richmond Painting and Printmaking/ Photography and Film Programs
The VCU Qatar Fellowship Program is awarded to one recent BFA graduate who has made an outstanding contribution to their program on the Richmond campus from either the BFA Painting and Printmaking program or the BFA Photography and Film program. The successful applicant will become a fellow for one academic year at the VCU Qatar campus in Doha.
The next residency period runs from August 2018 through to May 2019.
Who can apply-
ONLY recent graduates from the BFA Painting and Printmaking Program/ Photography and Film at VCU School of the Arts are eligible to apply. Students must have either graduated in the fall of 2017 or the spring of 2018.
Applicants should have a valid driving license.
- 24-hour access to a studio located within VCU Qatar as well as access to all Painting and Printmaking Studios.
- Furnished 1-bedroom apartment
- $15,000 stipend
- Return plane ticket from home location to Doha, Qatar
- $1,000 stipend for materials
Fellowship recipient responsibilities:
- Work 4 days per week in the PAPR printmaking studios
- The majority of these 4 days will be spent managing the digital print studio and therefore the fellow should have experience in working with digital print media. Specific duties will include-
- Managing the online booking system for students making prints
- Operating large format printers to make prints for students and faculty
- Installing print drivers on all computers
- Installing print profiles
- Calibrating monitors
- Performing maintenance on studios
- Operating risograph printer, vinyl cutter and dry mounter (training will be given)
- Other responsibilities may include assisting in Fanoon: Center for Print Media Research (www.fanoon.org)
- Depending the skill set of the residents there may be the opportunity to TA on certain classes
Preferable Skill Set:
- Knowledge of using software such as photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator
- Knowledge of operating large format and medium format ink jet printers
- Printmaking knowledge in other areas such as lithography, screen-print and etching
- Experience managing studio or other facility that requires use of booking systems, assisting users, planning and logistics
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to supply electronically:
- 1. Letter of Interest- Your statement should include a description of why you are interested in the position at VCU Qatar, why you feel you would be a suitable candidate in terms of the duties that are listed, and what you would hope to achieve during your time at VCUQatar.
- CV including address, phone, e-mail and website link if available
- Portfolio – Up to 15 images and documentation script. For video please include links to external video sites such as Vimeo.
- Scanned Copy of Passport
- Scanned copy of Driving License
- All of the above should be combined into 1 single PDF, no larger than 50 MB.
- You can send your application as an email attachment (attachment sending limit permitting) or through google drive or wetransfer
Applications should be sent to:
Rhys Himsworth, Director of Painting and Printmaking, VCUQatar
Application Deadline : 14 April 2018
Please note: Only digital applications will be accepted.